Soak up soothing steam at a Budapest thermal bath. Learn to waltz at a Viennese dance school. Savor Austro-Hungarian cuisine in Vienna and Budapest. Admire the Wachau Valley’s beauty. Explore lesser-known Central European cities like Bratislava and Passau. Witness daily life in an abbey on an exclusive visit to Göttweig. This 8-day itinerary reveals the best of these places, while cruising leisurely through spectacular scenery in the comfort of the 5 star Viking Prestige.
|DESTINATION||The Danube: Hungary – Slovakia – Austria – Germany|
|FROM||Dublin / Budapest|
|DATE||03 May 2020|
|PRICE||From €2,579 pp|
Soak up soothing steam at a Budapest thermal bath. Learn to waltz at a Viennese dance school. Savor Austro-Hungarian cuisine in Vienna and Budapest. Admire the Wachau Valley’s beauty. Explore lesser-known Central European cities like Bratislava and Passau. Witness daily life in an abbey on an exclusive visit to Göttweig. This 8-day itinerary reveals the best of these places, while cruising leisurely through spectacular scenery.
Day to Day Itinerary:
Day 1: Budapest, Hungary:
Following your flight from Dublin, you will be transferred to the port to board the 5 Star Viking Prestige. The ship stays in port overnight to give you ample opportunity to explore this beautiful city.
Welcome to Budapest, capital of Hungary. Transfer to your ship from the airport. After boarding, the afternoon is yours to relax or do a bit of exploring. After dinner on board tonight, enjoy an evening cruise on your ship to admire Budapest’s beautiful scenery from the vantage point of the Danube River.
Day 2: Budapest, Hungary:
Today we visit highlights of the hilly Buda and cosmopolitan Pest sides of the city, starting with Pest’s National Opera House and historic Heroes’ Square. In Buda, walk along Castle Hill to Fishermen’s Bastion and Matthias Church. Enjoy lunch on board your ship; the rest of the day is yours to explore the city. You may choose to join us on an optional excursion to experience the thermal springs, restorative natural spas whose waters locals have bathed in for centuries. Or, perhaps select another of our optional excursions designed to allow you to delve deeper into the history, culture and cuisine of this fascinating city. Return to your ship for dinner and evening departure.
Day 3: Bratislava, Slovakia:
Arrive in Bratislava this afternoon and embark on a walking tour of Slovakia’s charming capital with a long and fascinating history. It is the only national capital that borders two other countries, Austria and Hungary. See attractions like the medieval Town Hall complex and fortifications at Michael’s Tower, the baroque Jesuit Church and Gothic St. Martin’s Cathedral, and pass by several Hapsburg-era baroque palaces before returning to your ship. This evening you can relax or take a walk before our late departure.
Day 4: Vienna, Austria:
Today we tour the Austrian capital of Vienna. Ride along the Ringstrasse, which replaced the city walls in the mid-19th century. See some of the city’s baroque architecture, including the world-famous Opera House, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and Hofburg Palace. Return to your ship for lunch. The rest of the day is yours to further explore. As always, your Program Director can help you plan your free time. Or you may take an optional tour to Schönbrunn Palace, the “Versailles of Vienna,” erected in 1778 and graced by a number of formal gardens, Grecian statuary, the world’s oldest zoo and Roman ruins. After dinner, relax or enjoy an optional classical concert.
Day 5: Krems, Austria:
Today’s highlight is an exclusive visit of the splendid Benedictine Abbey of Göttweig, a working monastery for more than 900 years. Participate in an exclusive visitor program at Göttweig, created to provide an understanding of the daily business of the venerable institution. You may also take an invigorating bicycle ride through the Wachau Valley before returning to your ship. This afternoon, enjoy scenic sailing as we cruise toward Linz.
Day 6: Linz, Austria:
Wake up in Linz this morning and set off on an all-day excursion to the beautiful Bohemian town of Český Krumlov, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Ride through the scenic Czech countryside and take a walking tour featuring the lovely historic center of the city with many baroque and Renaissance buildings, dating back hundreds of years. You have some free time to enjoy Krumlov’s charming streets, filled with cafés, shops, galleries and pubs. Maybe stop for lunch in one of the many local restaurants. Return on board for dinner and a late-evening departure.
Day 7: Passau, Germany:
Arrive this morning in Passau, at the confluence of the Inn, Ilz and Danube Rivers. Your guided walk along the town’s narrow streets takes you through Old Town and past traditional patrician houses. Admire the New Bishop’s Residence and visit the impressive baroque St. Stephen’s Cathedral with its ornate interior. Inside, you are treated to a special concert played on the 17,000-pipe organ, considered Europe’s largest church organ.† Enjoy an onboard lunch, but return to the city to further explore on your own before dinner.
Day 8: Passau, Germany:
Following breakfast and your departure from the Prestige, you will be transferred to the airport to catch your flight home to Dublin.
7 nights onboard the 5* Viking Prestige operated by Viking River Cruises. (See ship info tab for more information on Viking Prestige).
Built with your comfort in mind, this understated, elegant Viking ship hosts just 188 guests. This sleek vessel offers airy atriums, inviting restaurants with panoramic windows, innovative Aquavit Terraces for al fresco dining, deluxe accommodations, spacious staterooms, streamlined Scandinavian interiors, and sweeping river views, plus environmentally friendly hybrid engines.
Prestige Ship Features
- All staterooms have river view
- Suites are 340 square feet, have separate sleeping & sitting quarters, 2 flat-panel TVs, a walk-in closet, bathtub/shower & 2 French balconies
- All double occupancy staterooms & suites have hotel-style beds with optional twin-bed configuration
- All Upper & Middle deck staterooms have a French balcony
- Private bathroom with shower & premium bath products; bathrobe & slippers upon request
- Sony 26” flat-panel TV with video on demand plus CNBC, CNN, ESPN, FOX, National Geographic & more
- Telephone, safe, refrigerator, hair dryer & individual climate control
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Sun deck with shaded sitting area
- Restaurant with panoramic views
- The Lounge & bar with panoramic windows
- Library & onboard boutique
- Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary)
- Laundry service
- Voltage: 220V & 115V in stateroom
- Ecologically friendly hybrid engines
Dates & Prices – Indirect Flights via London
|03 May 2020||€2,579||Riverview Cabin||Book Now|
|03 May 2020||€3,019||French Balcony||Book Now|
Dates & Prices – Direct Flights from Dublin
|03 May 2020||€2,749||Riverview Cabin||Book Now|
|03 May 2020||€3,189||French Balcony||Book Now|
- Flight from Dublin to Budapest
- All transfers from airport to port
- 7 nights onboard the 5* Viking Prestige based on 2 sharing
- Superb dining on a full board basis while on board
- Quality wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary)
- Specialty tea and coffee any time on board
- An included shore excursion in almost every port
- No corkage fee
- Evening entertainment
- Return transfer from port to airport
- Flight from Passau to Dublin
- Taxes, charges and 20kg check-in bag per person
- Inclusive of taxes and service charges as indicated
- Non-refundable deposit of 15%
- Optional Insurance available (call for details)
- Gratuities not included
- Child and family prices available on request
- These prices are guidelines only and are subject to change and availability. Pricing will be confirmed at time of booking.